Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Who Doesn't Love Getting Mail?

Our family moved over 600 miles away from everything and everyone we love this summer. It sucked. Sorry. Just no other word for it.

From our very first night here to a couple months later, we received cards from friends and family. Getting those cards in the mail was like a balm to my weary soul. Just knowing someone took the time to let us know that they miss us. Those cards held a place of honor on my mantle for at least two months. I've finally put them away. But they are not far. They will continue to bring me a little joy when I'm feeling lonely here.

During our move quite a few people went out of their way to make the move a little easier for us. A wrote most of them a note. But there are a few that were forgotten. I've done this before. Forget to make the extra effort to write out a card to let them know I appreciate them and by the time I remember I feel like too much time has passed and it would just be awkward to send it now. So, I don't. But the nagging feeling doesn't leave.

I finally got those last few cards in the mail. I hope that it brightens their day even though it's a little late.

Getting personal mail is such a treat. Between email, Facebook, Myspace, Texting...and just busyness in general, getting personal mail is kind of rare. That's a sad thing!

Take the time to write someone a note this week. It will brighten your day and theirs!

2 comments:

Amy said...

yup, i love getting mail. guess i need to send you another card so i can get another in return!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, I so agree! It's important to still send real mail. I don't get much more than ads and bills in my mailbox any more since everyone e-mails instead, so on the rare occasion when I do get a handwritten card or note, it totally makes my day. -Julia :-)