Thursday, March 19, 2009

Step Away From the Computer

Blake and I went for a walk the other night. Our edition (that's the Midwest term for what we southerners call a neighborhood or subdivision) Anyway, our edition has a lot of common areas of sidewalk and ponds. We were walking behind some houses and next to a pond when Blake takes off and runs up to someone's back patio. "Watch this, Mom!" he said. Being the stickler for rules that I am, I'm mortified that he strayed from the sidewalk onto someone's property. I'm sure I quietly yelled at him to get back on the sidewalk. All of the sudden this voice loudly proclaims "YOU ARE TRESPASSING!" He ran away but then ran back to do it again. "YOU ARE TRESPASSING!" I have never in my life seen an alarm system like that. I'm not sure it will keep any real intruders away but it apparently entertains the neighborhood kids quite well.I need one of those goofy alarms that my neighbor owns. Except mine needs to say, "STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!"

I've been struggling with boredom lately. Bored being at home. I know, I'm ashamed to even say it but it's the truth. My little ones are quite fun and keep me on my toes but I still get bored. I've gotten addicted to "checking" my computer consistently throughout the day. I get sucked into this box and waste so much time. There are so many fun ideas to do with my family and so many ideas to decorate my home but what does it matter how many ideas I've collected if I don't actually get off of my duff and DO any of it? I shouldn't be bored. I've got lots to do. My priorities are just out of whack right now.

Turns out I'm not alone in this struggle. Kimba, over at A Soft Place To Land recently wrote about it. Her readers let her know that they struggle too. She is declaring that Friday, March 27 be Unplug Day. Unplug whatever it is that keeps you from doing what you need to be doing. Take that day to get some things done that you have been putting off. Bless your family with your service and your time. Be reminded of all the wonderful real life blessings God has entrusted to you. The ability to love, cook, clean, change diapers, clean up messes, so laundry and play with my kids all day is a real blessing. I've forgotten that somehow.

If you'd like to participate in Unplug Day. Click over to ASPL and let Kimba know. She's going to have a Mr. Linky up after the 27th to let everyone know what we did with our day and if we learned anything.


In the meantime, I can't wait to go on a walk with Charlie and show him my trespassing skills!

No comments: