Monday, January 4, 2010

Home Cooking


Charlie and I have made some pretty lofty travel plans for the next couple of years. In order for those things to actually happen (and keep our no credit card rule) we have to save a lot of money.

The most logical way for us to do this is to stop eating out so much. I would be pretty embarrassed to tell you how much we eat out. Though if you looked at me, you might have an idea that it's pretty often. I figure the best way to make this work is for me to fall in love with cooking. I already love to eat so this should be a no-brainer. I'm going to be posting some of the recipes that I try on my blog. Let me know if you try them or if you have some you think I'd like.

Last week I made Pioneer Woman's Sherried Tomato Soup Oh my, this was so good and super fast. Even Benjamin and Bradley ate it! I didn't add the sherry. It took me about 5 minutes to even find the sherry at the grocery store (I'm not a drinker) and then I decided I didn't want to pay that much for an optional ingredient. Now that I know this recipe is a keeper for my family I may give the sherry a try. We don't eat many leftovers but we have finished this. So, so good!


On New Years Eve I was going to make Potato Skins at 10:00 p.m. but that never happened. I decided to make those along with the soup. These were a hit too. Aside from having to bake the potatoes it was a pretty fast fix too. Potato Skins would make a great after school snack. You could even lower the fat content by skipping the bacon and using lowfat sour cream and cheese. If you're in to that sort of thing. I'm not.


Last but certainly not least - Cinnamon Rolls. I love a recipe that makes a large quantity so I can stock my freezer. This recipe will give you 40-50 rolls that you can share with your friends or freeze. I found that letting the dough sit in the fridge over night makes rolling and forming the roll more manageable. I used a little less butter and sugar in the filling and they were plenty sweet. Do yourself a favor and make these tomorrow.

All of these recipes came from my Pioneer Woman Cookbook. She has tons of recipes on her website as well. Just today she posted a White Chili recipe that I think I'm going to try soon. Pretty useful - that Pioneer Woman!

(I have no idea why my fonts and text size changes in these posts. Or why that top paragraph is indented and centered. I can't figure out how to change it. *ugh*)

No comments: